Makes: One 2-layer cake
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 1 1/2 cup of Dutch Farms unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup of packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup of dark mild flavored molasses
- 2 Dutch Farm eggs
- 2 cups of finely chopped pecans
BUTTER CREAM INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup of Dutch Farms unsalted butter
- 8 ounces of Dutch Farms cream cheese
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda and set aside.
- Next, heat the milk in a microwave safe bowl for 2 minutes and :30 seconds and then whisk in the butter until it’s melted.
- Add the brown sugar, molasses and eggs and whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and mix until combined.
- Evenly transfer the batter into two 9” greased cake pans and bake in the oven at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes or until it is firm in the center.
- Cool completely.
- In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on high speed whip the butter and cream cheese until it becomes light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the powdered sugar and whip on low speed until combined and then turn it to high speed and whip for 3 minutes.
- Ice the layered cake on all sides and place the chopped pecans around the outside of the cake.
- Serve at room temperature.