DUTCH FARMS Irish Ale & Cheese Soup
Makes: 1 gallon of soup
- ½ pound of roughly chopped Dutch Farms Bacon
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 seeded and small diced red bell pepper
- 3 to 4 heaping tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces of lager beer
- 48 ounces of chicken stock
- 8 ounces of Dutch Farms Cream Cheese
- 8 ounces each Dutch Farms sharp cheddar and Jack cheese, shredded
- Garnishes: Dutch Farms sour cream, sliced green onions and extra shredded cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven pot over medium high heat add in the chopped bacon and cook until crispy.
- Once browned remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside.
- Next, add in the onions, garlic and bell pepper to the pot with the rendered bacon fat and cook over medium heat until they are browned, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until combined to make a roux and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Whisk in the beer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it gets very thick.
- Next, add in the chicken stock and cook over medium-low heat until it becomes thick like gravy.
- Finish by whisking in the cream cheese and shredded cheeses until it is combined into the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with optional garnishes as well as the crispy bacon that was set to the side.