DUTCH FARMS Royal Iced Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup Dutch Farms unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Dutch Farms egg
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 T meringue powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Food coloring as desired. (we doubled this recipe to provide enough for multiple colors)
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add in egg, vanilla, and almond extract and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined.
- Cover the bowl of cookie dough and chill in refrigerator for about an hour.
- Roll out the chilled dough and cut into shapes with cookie cutters and spread out on baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes (9-10 was perfect for us). Then let cool completely before icing.
- Using a mixer blend all the ingredients (not including food coloring) in large mixing bowl on low.
- Then beat on high 8-10 minutes or until very stiff.
- Depending on how many colors you want to make, divide icing into separate bowls and add food coloring.
- You also may separate the colors to have a firmer portion of a color and thin out some of the icing to flood the cookie with piping bag. To thin the icing just add a tsp. of water at a time until you have your desired consistency
- Fill piping bags with icing and get creative because it’s time to decorate!
- Outline the shape first then flood the center of the cookie with the thinned royal icing, then add as many details as you like