DUTCH FARMS Rolled Chicken Washington
Submitted By: Nicole Crocker
- 4 large chicken breasts (pounded to 1/4 inch thickness)
- 4 slices deli ham
- 2-4 slices Dutch Farms American cheese
- 1-2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 Dutch Farms eggs (whisked for dipping)
FOR CHEESE SAUCE:
- 14-15 slices of Dutch Farms American cheese
- 1 C milk
- 1 Tbs of unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place chicken breasts between plastic wrap and using a meat tenderizer pound from center of breast outward to about a 1/4 inch thickness. Set aside.
- Line up your ingredients: Place breadcrumbs in a large bowl or plate. Crack eggs in a bowl and whisk. Place cheese and ham slices on a plate.
- Unwrap pounded chicken and cut into pieces about the size of your whole hand. (This may or may not be necessary. Just eyeball it)
- Place a slice of ham and then a slice of cheese on chicken and roll up lengthwise. Try to tuck in sides best you can to prevent leakage.
- If needed secure with toothpicks. (Just be careful to remove before serving)
- Dip rolls in egg to coat them in breadcrumbs. Set aside on a platter and repeat with the rest of chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. (These are usually deep fried but I like to use a little oil at a time and turn rolls in the pan to brown all sides.) This is just to brown the chicken. The remainder of the cooking process will occur in the oven. It should produce a nice juicy product.
- Remove chicken to a plate with a paper towel to soak up any oil.
- Place rolls in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking prepare cheese sauce.
- Heat milk in small saucepan with butter on medium heat. Watch closely so it does not come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add cheese a slice at a time stirring constantly to melt.
- Once completely melted and incorporated remove from heat and set aside. If a skin forms on top just peel off or reheat and stir.
- Serve in a gravy boat.