DUTCH FARMS lemon angel food cake and berry trifle
- 2 cups of sifted flour
- 2 ¾ cups of sifted sugar
- 18 Dutch Farms egg whites at room temperature
- zest of ½ lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of cream of tartar
- Dutch Farms light whipped cream
- 1 pint of quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 cup of fresh raspberries
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Whip egg whites in a standing mixer with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks are formed. One they are formed, add in the cream of tartar, lemon zest and lemon juice, and mix in.
- Next, add the egg whites to a large bowl and gently fold together with sifted flour and sugar until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into an 8×3 inch ungreased cake pan and bake in the oven on 300° for 1 hour.
- Once it is finished cooking, remove from the oven and invert the cake onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- After it is done cooling slice it into thirds width wise.
- Place the first slice in the bottom of a glass trifle-serving dish followed up with 1/3 of the strawberries and raspberries, and top off with 1 inch of whipped cream.
- Next, add the second angel food cake slice on top of the whipped cream followed up with 1/3 of the blueberries and black berries and again top off with 1 inch of whipped cream.
- Finish by adding on the last slice of angel food cake followed up with a thin layer of whipped cream and the remaining berries.
- Cool completely and serve with additional Dutch Farms light whipped cream.